Pages

Sunday, April 19, 2015

A Mid Night's Dream

I looked through all the prompts
Then I glanced at the door
From a tree outside the window
I saw a bird I had seen before

In the quiet I heard scraping
on the window and the floor
I looked about then looked outside
A cold wind chilled me to the core.

In my half awake state writing
Crimson ink stains on my wrist
The crimson ink smears the paper
As my mind drifts in sleepy bliss

Suddenly, there comes a tapping
Tapping and scratching at the door
The door creaks open slightly
A stiff breeze goes across the floor

Beneath the floor there's scratching
Something trying to get in
In the distance I hear howling
As the moon shines bright again

As the door swings open swiftly
Pushed by wind or ghostly hand
Entereth a raven
Then it turns into a man

I recognize him swiftly
The one before me that I know
I have read him in the twilight's light
This poet they call Poe  

He points to the closet
I hear scratching at the closet door
I ask him "Are they coming for me?"
He disappears this poet of lore

As the door starts to open slowly
In the distance I hear the lone wolf cry
And something invisible strokes my spine
And says, "Wake up, its time"

The alarm clock is blaring
As I open up my eyes
I roll out of bed and get myself dressed
And head for my ride

True it was all just a dream
I shake it off and lock the door
But in the moon's glow
On the old dead tree
Sits a raven as before

No comments:

Post a Comment